This creamy delicious ice cream starts with a custard base then loaded with fresh peaches, a true summer favorite!
Homemade Peach Ice Cream
- Makes 3.5 quarts
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- Custard Base:
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cans sweetened condensed milk, 14 oz each
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 med. size fresh ripe peaches peeled and chopped
- Special equipment: Electric Ice Cream Maker
- Custard Base: Prepare ice bath, fill a larger bowl with ice and nest a slightly smaller bowl on top, set aside.
- In a large saucepan over low heat add eggs, one cup sugar, salt, and milk, whisk or stir until thoroughly blended.
- Continue whisking constantly until the mixture thickens and reaches 160 degrees. (Takes about 45 minutes, do not rush the process or quite whisking). Do not allow mixture to boil!!
- Remove the custard mixture from the heat and immediately pour into the nested bowl over ice to cool it down.
- Stir in the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla and mix well.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap and press it down on the surface of the custard, refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- When ready to prepare Ice Cream, Place the chopped peaches in a bowl with remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Mix well and let the peaches macerate for at least 30 minutes. *You can puree if you like the texture smooth or mash with potato masher if you like chunky ice cream.
- Prepare Ice Cream maker according to manufactures instructions. Also depending on the size of your maker you may have to do it in two batches. The base makes 3.5 quarts so if using a 2 quart ice cream maker add half custard base and half peaches. Place the ice cream in an airtight container in the freezer and freeze for 2-4 hours or until firm. Repeat with second batch if needed.
- Recipe Type : Desserts
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..