You don’t have to travel to the Florida Keys to enjoy this delicious cupcake! Lime juice and zest are what make this cupcake flavor stand out!
Tropical Key Lime Cupcakes
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour*
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 teaspoons fresh lime juice or bottled Key Lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of lime zest
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk
- *Optional, green food coloring
- 8 ounces of Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- *Optional: Garnish with lime slices or green decorating sugar
- Pre-heat oven 350* line 12 muffin tins with paper liners, set aside.
- Whisk both flours in a medium bowl, set aside.
- In stand-up mixer or a large mixing bowl, on low speed mix butter until a smooth consistency.
- Add sugar, beat to blend,
- Slowly while mixer is on , add eggs 1 at a time, blending until incorporated.
- Add lime juice and lime zest, mix until just blended, add 2 or 3 drops food coloring to achieve desired green.
- Beat in flour in 3 additions, alternately with buttermilk in 2 additions.
- Spoon 1/3 cup batter into prepared cupcake liner.
- Bake cupcakes until tester inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool.
- Frosting: Beat all ingredients together in a medium bowl until smooth.
- When cupcakes are completely cooled, either fill pastry bag and pipe onto cupcakes or use a knife/offset spatula to evenly spread over tops of cupcakes.
- Garnish ideas: Lime wedge, green decorating sugar or toasted coconut
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..