- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Beginner
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup water (warm)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 dash salt
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl. Add water, oil, and salt. Mix with fork and then with hands. Keep mixing until you can make a ball
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes.
- Let rest for 30 minutes in the bowl, covered with a damp cloth.
- Roll the ball into a 12-inch log and cut into 6 chunks.
- Roll each chunk into a very thin pancake, about 7-inches in diameter. Don't worry about making the dough into a perfect circle-just try to get it as thin as you can.
- Heat a cast iron skillet (lightly greased) on medium-high heat.
- Place one chapati in the skillet and cook for 30 seconds.
- Use a spatula to lift bread. When chapati gets brown spots and bubbles, flip it over and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Wrap the cooked chapati in a cloth napkin while cooking the rest.
- **Eat them right away with a little butter or margarine, or use as scoops for eating other dishes.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..