- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- Rough Puff Pastry:
- 14 tablespoons butter, frozen
- 1/2 cup water, chilled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg, beaten with water for egg wash
- Rough Puff Pastry:
- Be sure everything is cold in order to yield you a great pastry, so feel free to put the bowl of flour in the fridge to chill.
- Place your butter in the freezer for a minimum of 2 hours but preferably overnight.
- In a jug mix together your water and lemon juice and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour and salt.
- On the larger side of a grater, grate the frozen butter directly into the flour mix. Stir the butter into the flour with a knife in with a knife. Frozen butter is my secret ingredient. The colder the butter the flakier the pastry.
- Add in the liquid, holding a little back just in case you don’t need it all.
- Using your hand bring your pastry together gently. You want to add just enough water to bring the pastry together. Too much water will not yield you a flaky dough. Be quick, your hands get warm and melt the butter.
- Bring the dough together to form a ball. Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour. You can refrigerate it for up to 3 days or freeze to use at a later day.
- Note: Once you put the pastry in the fridge and it relaxes it will get a little wetter so factor that in.
- Mushroom Thyme Filling:
- While your rough puff pastry is chilling prepare your filling: Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat.
- dd in 2 tablespoons of butter and a handful of mushrooms, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Leave the mushrooms undisturbed for 3-4 minutes.
- Add to the pan 1/4 of the minced garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix throughout and allow the mushrooms to continue cooking until fully cooked and caramelized, about another 4 minutes.
- Repeat this process until all of the mushrooms have been sauteed. Set cooked mushrooms aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the ricotta cheese, egg and creme fraiche.
- Lastly, fold in the cooked mushrooms. Set aside.
- To assemble the galette:
- Preheat the oven to 400*F
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured work surface roll the pastry out to a 12-inch circle then fill the center of galette with the mushroom and cheese mixture, leaving a 1 1/2 inch border around the edges of the circle.
- Gently bring the outer edges of the pastry up over the filling
- Carefully transfer the galette to the lined baking tray then brush the crust of the galette with egg wash.
- Bake the galette for 35-40 minutes or until the crust is a beautiful golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing before serving.
- Cover and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..