- 1 Loaf
- Difficulty Level Beginner
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 packet dry yeast (active)
- 1/4 cup warm water (105 - 115 degrees)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 cups flour (all purpose)
- Combine rolled oats and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir in boiling water; cool to lukewarm (105 - 115 degrees).
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water in small bowl.
- Add yeast water, molasses, and oil to cooled oatmeal mixture.
- Stir in whole wheat flour and 1 cup all purpose flour. Add additional all purpose flour to make a dough stiff enough to knead.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl, turning to oil top. Cover with clean towel; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto clean surface. Shape dough and place in greased 9 x 5 inch pan. Cover with clean towel; let rise in a warm place until almost double, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake 50 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Cover with aluminum foil during baking if bread is browning too quickly.
- Remove bread from pan and cool on wire rack.
- Servings : 12
- Recipe Type : Breads
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..