Whole Wheat Chapatti
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Beginner
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 4 cups whole wheat flour*
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- *VARIATION: Use 3 cups whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in 1 cup of water and oil. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup water, continuing to mix until flour absorbs water.
- Knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 to 8 minutes. Do not add more flour
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide into 16 equal pieces and roll each into thin rounds, 6 to 7-inches in diameter. Use a light dusting of flour if necessary when rolling out. Do not stack
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place one chapatti on the griddle and cook about 10 seconds; flip chapatti and cook for 1 minute, flip again and cook about 1 minute. Bread should puff up and have an even distribution of brown spots.
- Place on a clean dish towel and lightly brush top with butter, if desired. Keep chapattis warm on a baking sheet in preheated oven, loosely covered with foil. Serve warm.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..