- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1⁄2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup solid vegetable shortening*
- 1 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 (7 oz.) containers Solo Marshmallow Creme 7 OZ
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare Whoopie Pie:
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Lightly grease baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening, sugar, and egg.
- In another bowl, combine cocoa, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir the vanilla extract into the milk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the shortening mixture, alternating with the milk mixture; beating until smooth.
- Drop batter by the 1/4 cup (to make 18 cakes) onto prepared baking sheets.
- With the back of a spoon spread batter into 4-inch circles, leaving approximately 2 inches between each cake.
- Bake 15 minutes or until they are firm to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make Whoopie Pie Filling:
- In a medium bow, beat together shortening, sugar, and 2 (7 oz.) containers Solo Marshmallow Creme ; stir in vanilla extract until well blended.
- To assemble:
- When the cakes are completely cool, spread the flat side (bottom) of one chocolate cake with a generous amount of filling.
- Top with another cake, pressing down gently to distribute the filling evenly. Repeat with all cookies to make 9 pies.
- Wrap whoopie pies individually in plastic wrap, or place them in a single layer on a platter (do not stack them, as they tend to stick).
- To freeze, wrap each whoopie pie in plastic wrap. Loosely pack them in a plastic freezer container and cover. To serve, defrost the wrapped whoopie pies in the refrigerator.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..