100% Whole Wheat Bread
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 2 Loaves
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105-115 degrees F)
- 1 cup warm 1% milk (105-115 degrees F)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 5 1/4-5 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, divide
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Beat in warm milk, honey, 3 cups flour and eggs. Beat 3 minutes on medium speed.
- Cover bowl and let mixture rest 20 minutes.
- Mix in salt and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. If using a dough hook, add shortening and knead 10-12 minutes. If kneading by hand, knead 10-12 minutes, gradually kneading in the shortening until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Let rise until doubled.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Let dough rest 10 minutes.
- Grease two 9 x 5 -inch pans.
- Shape loaves by rolling each half into a 14 x 7-inch rectangle. Starting with the short side, roll up tightly, pinching edges and ends to seal.
- Place dough in prepared pans, cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled.
- Pre-heat Oven 375*F.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until done Loosely cover bread with foil the last 5 minutes to prevent over-browning.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..