All-American Cherry Pie
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 pie
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 9-inch double crust Classic Crisco® Pie Crust
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans red sour pitted cherries, drained, 1/4 cup liquid reserved
- Few drops red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half or milk
- Prepare pie crust as directed. Do not bake. Heat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt; add reserved 1/4 cup cherry juice and red food coloring, if desired.
- Stir until blended. Add cherries.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil; boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter and almond extract.
- Pour filling into unbaked pie crust.
- Roll out top crust. Using 1-1/2-inch star cutter, cut 3 stars in center of crust
- Place top crust over filling; trim and seal.
- Roll out leftover scraps to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into star garnishes. Place on crust as desired
- In a small bowl beat egg yolk with fork. Stir in half-and-half. Brush over top.
- Bake 40 minutes or until filling in center is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Cover edge with foil, if necessary, to prevent overbrowning.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..