Best Pumpkin Pie Ever
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 pie
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- For the Whole Grain Pie Crust:
- 1 cup white whole wheat ﬂour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 TBS cold unsalted butter
- 3 TBS canola oil
- 2 TBS orange juice (optional)
- 2 to 4 TBS ice water
- For the Pumpkin Filling:
- 2 large eggs, separated
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 can pumpkin puree (not pie mix!), about 15 oz.
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp cloves
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup sugar
- To make the Crust:
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut the butter in small cubes, then work it into the dry ingredients using a pastry blender or a fork, until the dough is crumbly and butter pieces are smaller than peas.
- Add the canola oil (or simply use all butter — 6 TBS in all).
- Sprinkle the OJ over the dough and mix lightly by hand.
- Add ice water a little at a time, mixing lightly by hand until the dough hangs together when you grab a handful.
- Wet your countertop, and lay out a big square of wax paper. Plunk the ball of dough on the wax paper, squish it a little, and top with a second square of wax paper, then roll out until it’s big enough to ﬁt in an 8-9” pie pan.
- Remove the top piece of wax paper. Turn dough upside down, holding the remaining wax paper, and ﬁt the dough into the pan. Then remove the remaining wax paper.
- Turn any overlapping bits of dough under the edges, and crimp with your ﬁngers or with a fork, to make a nice edge. There is no “right” way. Be creative.
- Poke holes all over the bottom of the crust with your fork, so the bottom won’t puﬀ up during baking.
- Then bake for about 10 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
- To make the Filling and Finish the Pie:
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Cover edge of crust with tin foil, so it won’t overcook.
- Separate eggs, with the yolks going into a large bowl and the whites into your mixer bowl.
- Combine sugar and spices (last ﬁve ingredients) together in a small bowl.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Combine milk and pumpkin with the egg yolks.
- Add sugar-spice mix, and mix well.
- Fold in egg whites. (That means to mix by turning over spoonfuls, as gently as possible, so all the ﬂuﬃness of the egg whites isn’t lost.)
- Pour into pie shell, and bake for about 40 minutes, until a knife comes out clean.
- Serve as is, or with a dollop of whipped cream.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..