- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 12 Cheese Sticks
- Difficulty Level Beginner
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (*can use ½ whole wheat flour)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- ¾ cup non-fat milk (warmed to 120-130°F)
- ½ cup warm water (110-115°F)
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- Egg-wash: 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water (room temperature)
- Combine flour and yeast in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine milk, water, shortening, sugar and salt; mix thoroughly with flour and yeast.
- Knead on a floured surface until dough is smooth and little blisters form beneath the surface.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm (80°F) spot until doubled in size - approximately 30 to 45 minutes.
- Punch down and divide into two balls of dough.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each piece into a 12 x 14 inch rectangle approximately 1/8 inch thick.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning.
- Starting on the long edge, cut 14 - 1 inch wide strips. Twist and lay on a greased baking sheet.
- On the bare areas, brush egg-wash and sprinkle cheese and seasoning. Repeat with remaining ball of dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap until almost doubled in size - approximately 25 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven 375*F
- Bake at 375°F 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown. Sticks are best served warm.
- Tip: *If using whole wheat flour, keep dough as sticky as possible to prevent a dry product.
- Tip: **Can be made in dough cycle of bread machine or frozen bread dough may be used.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..