A classic southern potluck favorite, it’s rich, dark and chocolatey, all without the pretentiousness of a fancy cream pie, just delicious southern comfort food!
Chocolate Chess Pie
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 9" springform pan
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- Prepared single un-baked pie crust
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk (preferably whole milk but 2% will work fine)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 3 Tablespoons powdered cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Preheat oven 350*
- Lightly press prepared pie crust dough into springform pan, set aside. (You can make a fancy edge, fold over the towards the center, or just leave it rustic).
- In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, milk, and vanilla and stir well.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over low heat, then stir in cocoa and sugar and mix well.
- Remove small amount of hot liquid to measuring cup, gently stir into egg mixture then slowly add egg mixture to the remaining hot mixture. This is called tempering. Remove from stove/heat.
- Pour into prepared crust, bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the center is set. Do not overbake.
- *Don't worry of the top starts to crack, that's a sign of good old southern baking!
Read more about this chef..