Dakota Bread Whole Grain Bread
Published on February 29, 2020 | By Home Baking Association |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 loaf (2 pounds)
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup rye flour
- 1/4 cup oatmeal
- Sprinkle yeast in warm water; stir to dissolve.
- In a large bowl, mix sunflower oil, egg, cottage cheese, honey and salt. Add dissolved yeast and 2 cups bread flour, beating until flour is moistened.
- Gradually stir in whole wheat flour, wheat germ, rye flour and oats, plus enough bread flour to make a soft dough.
- On a flour surface, knead dough about 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in greased bowl; cover loosely with oiled plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Punch down dough. Shape into one round loaf. Place in a greased glass pie pan sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover with oiled plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375*
- Brush with egg white and sprinkle with wheat germ, sunflower kernels, or oats.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes. If too dark, cover loosely with foil the last 10-15 minutes of baking. Remove from pie pan and cool on a wire rack.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..