Fabulous Homemade Bread
- 3 Loaves
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 packages active dry yeast (1/2 package for each loaf)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups warm water
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup brown (or white) sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- nonstick cooking spray
- In a large bowl, mix 1/4 cup warm water, sugar, yeast and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Let rise for about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 1/4 cups warm water, 5 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup while wheat flour, oats, salt, brown sugar, and oil and mix well.
- On a clean and dry flat surface, sprinkle flour and knead dough until it is not sticky. This may take an additional cup of while wheat flour.
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Place dough in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until it has doubled, about 1 hour.
- Gently knead dough a couple of times. Divide dough evenly and form into 3 oval loaves.
- Spray three 9-by-5 loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place a loaf in each pan. Allow dough to rise until it reaches the top of the pans.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Do not over bake.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.
- Recipe Type : Breads
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..