Foolproof Whole Wheat Artisan Bread
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 Loaf
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 4 cups Whole Wheat Flour (we recommend Panhandle Milling)
- 1 cup milk or almond milk
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp Active Dry Yeast (we recommend Red Star Yeast)
- Combine all ingredients in a large 1-gallon bowl, and mix by hand until combined, about 2 minutes.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap or a lid and allow to sit at room temperature overnight about 8 hours
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter-top. Form gently into a ball.
- Place the loaf in greased 1-gallon 9-inch covered cast iron Dutch oven and raise 1 ½-2 hours.
- Remove lid. Sprinkle lightly with flour and score the top of the loaf with a sharp knife
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- When oven is hot, place pan with lid in the oven.
- After 15 minutes remove the lid.
- Reduce heat to 350 °degrees for 30-35 minutes, until the loaf’s internal temperature is over 180° F.
- Cool on cooling rack.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..