Fry Bread Tacos with Potato and Chorizo
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- Fry Bread:
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp instant yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- Shortening or vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 fresh chorizo sausages (about 12 oz), not cured
- 1 Yukon gold potato (about 8 oz), peeled and diced
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1 small carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp hot pepper sauce
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- Fry Bread:
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, yeast and salt.
- Add butter to ¾ cup warm water (110° to 115°F); stir into flour mixture until ragged dough forms. Transfer onto lightly floured surface; knead dough for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Cover with plastic wrap; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in deep skillet, heat enough oil to come one-third up side to 350°F.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Working with one piece at a time, roll out each piece into 5-inch round; drop gently into hot oil. Cook, turning once, for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to paper towel–lined plate. Repeat with remaining rounds, making sure oil reaches frying temperature before adding next round. Let cool.
- Heat oil in skillet set over medium heat; fry onion for about 3 minutes or until golden.
- Remove casings from chorizo; sauté chorizo until browned and cooked through. Drain any excess fat from pan and discard.
- Add potato and taco seasoning; cook for 2 minutes.
- Toss together cabbage, carrot, green onion and tomato.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, lime juice, cider vinegar, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Drizzle over cabbage mixture; toss to coat. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Assemble: Divide chorizo mixture evenly among fried bread. Top with coleslaw and garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Cook’s Tips: • For a shortcut, purchase ready-made coleslaw mix with dressing.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..