- Cook Time
- 9x13 Pan
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (105° to 115°F)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- Combine water, yeast and sugar in large bowl. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups flour, salt, oregano and 1/4 cup olive oil. Mix by hand or with a dough hook until the dough forms into a rough ball.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, using additional flour to knead. If using the mixer with a dough hook, add all but the last ½ cup of flour until certain it isn’t needed. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning once to coat. Cover and let rise 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down and divide into two or three portions. Cover and let rest 5 to 15 minutes.
- To shape, flatten to desired thickness in 9 x 13-inch rectangles or 8 to 9-inch rounds. Place on oiled baking pans; cover and let rise 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Dimple the dough vigorously with finger tips.
- Cover again and let double in size (30 to 60 minutes).
- Brush surface with olive oil and sprinkle with additional toppings if desired.
- Bake on the lowest rack for about 15 minutes, or until bottom is well browned.
- Remove to a cooling rack.
- Servings : 24 pieces
- Recipe Type : Breads
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..