Kringle Danish Ring
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- For the dough:
- 2 cups bread flour
- 4 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup shortening, part butter or margarine
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg, separated
- For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 3 to 4 tsp water
- Fillings (quantity is for 1 Kringle):
- Apple Currant: ¾ cup finely chopped apples, ¼ cup washed currants, ¼ cup brown sugar (packed), 2 tsp flour
- Apple Pecan: ¾ cup finely chopped apples, ¼ cup finely chopped pecans, ¼ cup brown sugar (packed), 2 tsp flour
- Date Pecan: ½ cup finely cut-up dates, ¼ cup finely chopped pecans, ¼ cup brown sugar (packed)
- Orange or Pineapple Marmalade: ½ cup marmalade
- Pecan: ½ cup chopped pecans, ¼ cup brown sugar (packed)
- Have water and milk at 110°-115°F and all other ingredients at room temperature.
- Measure the flour, sugar, salt and shortening into a bowl. Mix with pastry blender or fork.
- Dissolve yeast in the water. Let stand until dissolved and bubbles appear.
- Whisk together warm milk and egg yolk.
- Stir yeast-mixture and add to egg yolk-mixture.
- Pour into bowl with flour-mixture. Mix together until they form a dough. Cover bowl with waxed paper, then foil. Chill 2 to not more than 48 hours.
- Prepare filling of choice x 2 or two separate kinds of fillings for two different types of Kringle.
- After you've rested dough, divide dough into 2 equal pieces.
- Beat reserved egg white until stiff peaks form.
- Roll 1 piece of dough on lightly floured board into a 6x18-inch rectangle.
- Spread with ½ the egg white, then one of the Fillings.
- Fold over the filling the long way, and pinch edge of dough into roll. Very carefully place on lightly greased baking sheet in horseshoe or circle. Repeat with other half of dough.
- Cover. Let rise about 30-40 minutes until almost doubled.
- Preheat oven 400*
- Bake 18 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from pans to racks to cool.
- Prepare Glaze:
- Mix glaze ingredients together and stir until desired consistency. If it's too runny add a bit more sugar if too thick add a drizzle of water.
- Before serving, sift confectioners' sugar or drizzle glaze over the top of the Kringles. You can also sprinkle chopped chopped dried fruit, sliced almonds or pecans over top.
- Recipe Type : Pastries & Tarts
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..