This is a really fun recipe to follow! We love that it’s sweet, tangy and fairly easy to whip up!
Lemon Meringue Pie
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 pie
- Difficulty Level Advanced
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 pre-baked 9" crust
- Lemon filling:
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups water
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons, 1/4 to 1/3 cup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large eggs yolks, slightly whipped
- Meringue topping:
- 4 large egg whites
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Prepare Lemon filling:
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt until blended.
- Combine water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Stir in butter.
- Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture to temper the temperature of the egg yolk.
- Whisk the tempered egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture.
- Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat.
- Pour filling into baked pastry shell.
- To prepare Meringue:
- In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Tip: Use a very clean towel to wipe bowl to ensure no fat or oil will inhibit the egg whites from forming stiff peaks.
- Spread meringue over entire pie, sealing the edges at the crust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.
- Remove and allow the pie to cool and set-up. To ensure success with this recipe, let the pie cool for one hour, then chill for four hours or until filling is set before slicing into it.
- Storing Tip: Do not cover pie with saran wrap as it may cause condensation and allow the pie to become watery.
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..