Speedy Pesto-Garlic Skillet Bread
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 Loaf
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- ¾ cup warm water (110°F - 115°F)
- 1 ½ teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 (¼ ounce) package RED STAR® Quick∙Rise™ Yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 ½ teaspoons finely minced fresh garlic
- 1 ¼ cups White Whole Wheat Flour
- ¼ cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¾ - 1 cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
- Pesto-Garlic Butter Topping:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons basil pesto
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with dough hook, stir together water, sugar and yeast. Wait 5 - 10 minutes for it to foam (proof).
- Stir in oil, salt, Italian seasoning and garlic.
- Mix in white whole wheat flour and Parmesan cheese. Gradually add enough all-purpose flour, until dough starts to pull away from sides of bowl. Knead 5 minutes.
- Press dough in a greased 10” cast-iron skillet or 9” round baking pan. Cover; let rise 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake 20 - 23 minutes until golden brown.
- For the topping: Melt butter; stir in pesto and garlic powder. Remove bread from oven and immediately brush with topping.
- Cut in wedges and serve warm with remaining Pesto-Garlic Butter Topping.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..