Tomato, Basil, and Garlic Filled Pane Bianco
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 2 loaves
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- ½ cup warm water (100° - 110°F)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
- 1 cup warm low-fat milk (100°- 110°F)
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 – 5 ½ cups Unbleached Bread Flour
- 1 (8.5-ounce) jar oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, well-drained
- ¾ teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1 ½ cups shredded Italian blended cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- In a small bowl, add warm water, sugar, and yeast. Stir and let sit 10 minutes. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add milk, oil, yeast mixture, eggs, and salt. Mix until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in enough of the flour to make a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface or with a dough hook 6 to 8 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl, turn to grease top. Cover, let rise in a warm place until double, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thoroughly drain sun dried tomatoes; lay on paper towel to absorb moisture. Using kitchen shears, finely chop tomatoes.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Punch down dough, divide in half. Roll one piece into a 22 x 8½ -inch rectangle. Sprinkle on half of the garlic, cheese, basil, and tomatoes. Starting with 22-inch side, roll up (jelly-roll fashion) tightly. Pinch edges to seal. Place roll seam-side-down on baking sheet. With scissors, cut lengthwise down center of roll, about 1-inch deep to within ½-inch of the ends. Keeping cut-side up, form an “S” shape. Tuck both ends under center of “S” to form a “figure eight”; pinch ends to seal.
- Cover; let rise in a warm place until double, 45 to 60 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake the first loaf in a preheated 350°F oven 35 to 40 minutes. Tent loaf with foil after 15 to 20 minutes to prevent overbrowning. Bake remaining loaf.
- Recipe Type : Breads
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..