Whole Grain Banana Bread
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 loaf
- Difficulty Level Beginner
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup chopped, toasted walnuts (optional)
- 1¼ cups mashed very ripe bananas (3 medium)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray or grease bottom only of 8 ½ x 4 ½-inch loaf pan.
- In large bowl, whisk together white whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda and walnuts.
- In medium bowl, whisk together bananas, butter, applesauce, eggs, vanilla and buttermilk.
- Add banana mixture to flour mixture; stir ingredients together just until combined. Do not over mix batter. Spread batter into pan.
- Bake on middle oven rack 60 to 65 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Check doneness by inserting a thermometer in center of loaf (205°-210°F). Cool 5 minutes; loosen sides of bread from pan using a knife. Remove bread from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour, before slicing.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..