Everyone loves these apple pie bars, with their rich shortbread crust, scrumptious apple pie filling and streusel topping, the perfect way to serve apple pie to a crowd!
Apple Pie Bars
Published on August 25, 2020 | In Pastries and Tarts | By Home Baking Association |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 12 bars
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- Shortbread Crust:
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tablespoon salt
- Apple Filling:
- 3 cups finely chopped apple (2-3 medium apples)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- Streusel Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 quick oats
- Pre-heat oven to 325* lightly grease and flour an 8 inch square baking pan, set aside.
- Shortbread crust.
- In a medium bowl, sift or whisk together the flour and salt.
- In larger mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, cream sugar and butter until well combined.
- Add flour mixture and stir until makes a stiff dough.
- Spread in prepared 8" pan, bake crust for 5 or 6 minutes.
- Prepare apple filling:
- In medium bowl mix apples, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Remove pan from oven, turn up oven temperature to 350*
- Spread apple filling over crust, set aside.
- Streusel Topping:
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour, oats,brown sugar and cinnamon, using a pastry cutter, two knives or even your fingers cut in the cold butter until you have coarse crumbs the size of a small pea.
- Fold in chopped walnuts. Sprinkle evenly over top of apples, return pan to oven for 35 minutes or until lightly brown and bubbly.
- Tip: If the top starts to brown too much, then cover with foil and continue to bake until apples are tender.
- Optional: Serve with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Course : Snack
- Recipe Type : Desserts, Fourth of July
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
Comments are closed.