Recipe courtesy of Pastry Pizazz by Marla Prusa, Home Baking Association 2020 Educator Award Winner.
Quiche (Makes one 9″ Quiche)
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- One 9" Quiche
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- Prepare and par-bake one 9-inch single-crust pie pastry
- 4 large eggs (7 oz/200g), beaten
- 1 1/2 cups (12 oz/340g) half-and-half, light cream or milk
- 1/4 cup (1.25 oz/35g) sliced green onions, if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup (3 oz/85g) chopped cooked ham, chicken or crabmeat
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz/170g) shredded Swiss, cheddar, Monterey Jack or Colby Cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Prepare pastry and roll out for a single crust pie. Heat oven to 400°F. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry. Trim and crimp edges as desired. Line the pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 400˚ F oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 4-5 minutes until pastry is set. Remove from the oven. Reduce oven temperature to 325˚ F.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, green onions, salt, and pepper. Stir in ham or other meat. In a small bowl toss together the cheese and flour. Add this to the egg mixture. Mix well.
- Pour the egg mixture into the hot, baked pastry shell. Bake in the 325˚ F oven for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean (160°F. at center). Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- **VEGETARIAN QUICHE Prepare as Quiche, except omit the meat and add 3/4 cup sauteed vegetables to the egg mixture-may be broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, spinach, etc. (Fresh veggies are sauteed to enhance flavor and reduce liquid added to quiche.)
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..