Recipe courtesy of Pastry Pizazz by Marla Prusa, Home Baking Association 2020 Educator Award Winner.
Chicken or Turkey Pot Pie
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- One savory pie
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- Prepare one, double-crust 9-inch pie pastry
- 10 oz. frozen peas and carrots
- 1/3 cup (2.7 oz/75g) butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup (1.4 oz/49g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (1.7 oz/47g) chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3/4 cups (14 oz/400g) chicken broth
- 2/3 cup (5.4 oz/152g) milk
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups (12 oz/340g) cut-up cooked chicken or turkey
- Prepare pastry, divide in half and form into two discs, about 1-inch thick, wrap and chill.
- Rinse frozen peas and carrots in cold water to separate; drain.
- In a 2-qt. saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, onion, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly, remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 1 minute. Stir in chicken and peas and carrots. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 425˚ F. Line a 9-inch pie pan with pastry. Pour chicken mixture into pastry-lined pan. Roll out the top crust and cut about 8 slits in the top to allow steam to escape. Place on top of the chicken mixture in the pan. Turn edges of pastry under and flute edges.
- Bake about 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..