Whether you’re stuffing a Pork Crown Roast or stuffing a Turkey or serving on the side, this cornbread stuffing packs a big flavor punch!
Homemade Cornbread & Sausage Dressing
- Prep Time
- 9" Casserole Baking Dish
- Difficulty Level Moderate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter (1 Stick)
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons of butter for greasing casserole dish
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1/2# of mild or hot ground Italian sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme or 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground sage or 2 teaspoon fresh chopped sage
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- *Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- *Prepare Cornbread:
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease an 8” baking dish with cooking spray or butter, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together butter, buttermilk, and egg until well incorporated.
- Slowly add whisked dry ingredients to wet mixture, using a wooden spoon and stir until batter is well mixed, it will be very thick.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish, smooth out top, and bake until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting into 1' to 1 1/2" cubes.
- *Cornbread can be made and allowed to sit overnight before using.
- Prepare Dressing:
- Grease a 9” square baking dish with butter, set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Cook sausage, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until golden and cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Remove meat from skillet and place in large mixing bowl. Remove all but 2 tablespoons of rendered fat.
- In same skillet add butter, onion, and celery and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add thyme and sage, then season with salt and pepper.
- Slowly add broth to deglaze, scraping up brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly, add to large mixing bowl with sausage.
- In small bowl whisk eggs until beaten.
- Add prepared cornbread cubes to meat and vegetable mixture, stir gently.
- Add eggs and stir until completely incorporated.(You may have to add a bit more broth is it's too dry.
- Check seasoning and add more seasoning if needed to taste
- Add mixture to prepared baking dish* and bake until golden and crispy on top and set in the center, 30 minutes.
- *Garnish with parsley before serving.
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..