These tasty apple muffins are loaded with warm fall flavors, then finished with a crunchy streusel topping, a match made in heaven!
Whole Wheat Apple Muffins with Streusel Topping
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4" cube
- Streusel Topping:
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, room temperature
- 3 tablespoon chopped nuts, walnuts or pecans work well.
- Prepare Streusel Topping:
- In small bowl, mix flour, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Using a pastry cutter or two forks cut in butter/margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbles.
- Add chopped nuts, set aside.
- Pre-heat oven 400* Line 12 muffin tins with paper baking cups or grease and flour each tin, set aside.
- In large bowl sift together both flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon, set aside.
- In separate bowl, cream butter or margarine until soft, add granulated sugar and brown sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add egg and blend until combined.
- Add sour cream or yogurt, on low speed until just combined. Don't over mix!
- Fold in dry ingredients, stir until completely combined.
- Fold in apple chunks gently by hand until evenly combined.
- Using an Ice Cream scoop, add batter evenly into prepared muffin cups.
- Sprinkle Streusel Topping evenly over each muffin.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Slightly cool muffins in tin, then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..