Recipe Courtesy of Pastry Pizazz by Marla Prusa, Home Baking Association 2020 Educator Award Winner
Whole Wheat Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 2 1/2 cups (4 oz/113g) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon table or fine sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons (0.875 oz/25g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (8 oz/113g) cold unsalted butter
- 6-8 Tablespoons (3-4 oz) ice cold water
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, salt, and sugar. Cut the butter into 8 pieces, then cut in the butter with a pastry blender until the texture is like small peas.
- Add the water and mix until the pastry can be formed into a ball; flatten into a disc about 1-inch thick and chill briefly.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough between two parchment or waxed papers dusted with flour into two crusts. Line pie pan with first, fill pie crust and cover with 2nd crust that has slits cut in center.
- Follow recipe directions for baking times. This crust is hearty and delicious paired with quiche or meat pies.
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..