- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 5 medium apples
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed and divided
- ½ cup whole wheat flour, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Non-stick cooking spray
- ½ stick (2 ounces) cold, unsalted butter
- 1½ cups quick oats
- Optional: ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Rinse and cut apples in half, lengthwise. Remove any stems. Cut out center core of apple that contains the seeds. Do not peel.
- Place apples cut side down. Use a sharp knife to cut apples into ⅛-inch slices.
- In a large bowl, combine sliced apples, ¼ cup of brown sugar, 1 Tablespoon of flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg, if using. Mix well.
- Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour apple mixture into baking dish. Spread evenly.
- Dice butter into smaller cubes, using a sharp knife. In a medium bowl, combine remaining brown sugar and flour, oats, and butter. Mix with hands until crumbly.
- Spread oat and flour mixture over apple mixture. Bake uncovered on middle rack of oven for 40 minutes or until top is lightly browned or bubbly.
- Let sit for 15–20 minutes before serving.
- Tips: Use any apples you like. Or, try a mix of apples for different textures and flavors.
- Top with low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt if you like.
- Use other fruits, such as peaches, pears, or berries, when in season.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..