Apple Gingerbread Skillet Cake
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 tbsp sorghum syrup (sorghum molasses)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 large firm apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sorghum syrup (sorghum molasses)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup hot water
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- In a 12-inch cast iron skillet, melt 4 tbsp butter to begin the topping mixture.
- Stir in brown sugar, sorghum syrup and pecans.
- Evenly layer apple slices over the sugar mixture.
- To make gingerbread:
- Cream butter, sugar and egg.
- Add sorghum syrup.
- Stir together dry ingredients and slowly add to batter.
- Add hot water and mix well.
- Pour batter on top of apples.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until gingerbread springs back lightly when pressed with a finger.
- Remove skillet from oven and invert onto a heatproof serving plate. Serve warm or cold.
- Very good with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..