Baking Powder Biscuits
Published on May 26, 2019 | By Home Baking Association |
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- Cooking Spray (We recommend Crisco)
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- Pre-heat oven to 450°F. Coat baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
- Place flour, baking powder and salt into large bowl. Stir until well blended.
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until crumbs are the size of peas.
- Add milk, stirring with fork just until flour is moistened. (Start with 3/4 Cup and add remaining 1/4 as needed).
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Shape into ball, handling dough as little as possible. Roll into an 8-inch circle using lightly floured rolling pin. Fold in half. Repeat 3 to 5 times.
- Roll dough into an 8-inch square. Cut using a floured 2-inch biscuit cutter. For crisper biscuits, place on prepared baking sheet 1-inch apart. For softer biscuits, arrange so edges almost touch. Reroll scraps to cut remaining biscuits.
- Bake 8 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Buttermilk Biscuits: Add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda to flour mixture. Substitute buttermilk for milk.
- Cheese Biscuits: Stir 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese into flour-shortening mixture before adding milk.
- Drop Biscuits: Increase milk to 1 1/4 cups. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets.
- Recipe Type : Biscuits and Muffins
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..