Recipe courtesy of Pastry Pizazz by Marla Prusa, winner of Home Baking Association 2020 Educator Award.
Banana Cream Pie II (Makes one single crust cream pie)
- Prep Time
- One pie
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- Prepare 1 recipe pastry for a single-crust pie
- 4 large (2 oz/56g) egg yolks
- 2/3 cup (4.6 oz/132g) granulated or Golden Brown* sugar
- 1/4 cup (1 oz/28g) cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. table or fine sea salt
- 3 cups (24 oz/680 g) milk
- 2 Tablespoons (1 oz/28g) butter or margarine, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large (8.4 oz/240g) bananas, peeled
- 1 cup (2.1 oz/60g) whipped cream
- Prepare the pastry and follow directions for a baked pie shell.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks with a fork; set aside. In a 2-quart saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir for 1 minute. Immediately stir at least half of the hot mixture gradually into the egg yolks stirring constantly while adding the hot liquid. Then stir that mixture back into the hot mixture in the saucepan. Boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla; Cool filling slightly.
- Slice bananas into pie crust; pour warm filling over bananas. Press plastic wrap on filling to prevent a tough layer from forming on top. Refrigerate at least 2 hours (preferably longer) until set.
- Remove plastic wrap. Top pie with whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate the cooled pie until serving. Store covered in the refrigerator.
- Whipped Cream: Combine 1/2 cup (4 oz/110 g) heavy whipping cream, 1/2 Tablespoon superfine sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract in a chilled medium mixing bowl. Beat on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..