A gougère in French cuisine, is a baked savory pate choux pastry made of choux dough mixed with cheese. These tasty little treats are perfect for cocktails or a savory snack.
Cheese Puffs (Gougeres)
Published on October 27, 2020 | In Pastries and Tarts | By Home Baking Association |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese or Swiss cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425*. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Set aside
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1/2 cup water with the milk, butter, sugar and salt and stir over low heat until ingredients are melted.
- Turn the heat to medium and bring to a healthy simmer.
- Remove from the heat and immediately add the flour. Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens, and no flour lumps remain. Batter should be smooth.
- Return to the heat and cook, constantly stirring for a minute or two more.
- Remove from heat, stir to release any steam. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring until the egg is fully incorporated. Keep checking the consistency of the paste. It should be smooth and shiny after al eggs are incorporated.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Using a pastry bag or a small cookie scoop, make 2" mounds onto the parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them an inch apart.
- Place in the oven, immediately reduce the heat to 375*, bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cheese puffs are golden brown.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool on cooling rack.
- Course : Appetizer
- Recipe Type : Appetizers
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
Comments are closed.