Cookie Mix in a Jar: Chocolate Cherry Cookies
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 Gift Jar
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dried cherries
- 1 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Other Supplies:
- 1 wide mouth quart size canning jar
- Rings and flat lids
- Colorful print fabric to cut in 6-inch circles
- Dry measuring cups
- Paper, pencils, color markers to make labels
- Tape or yarn to attach labels
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and soda.
- In a wide mouth quart jar, layer ingredients in order listed. Press after each layer before adding next ingredient.
- Prepare the label instructions
- *Tips for Packing Mix Jars:
- *Use dry measuring cups and measure accurately.
- *Do not assume a pasta sauce or mayonnaise jar is a quart.
- *Blend the flour, baking powder, soda and salt with a wire whisk
- *Pack layers tightly in the order they are listed so all the ingredients will fit and won’t get mixed up
- *If you want to keep two layers separate, cut a circle of wax paper and lay between.
- *If baking cocoa is in the middle, wipe down the inside of the jar with paper towel to prevent streaking.
- *Place lid on to pack tightly the last layer.
- *Lay fabric ring over lid and screw on the ring portion of the lid.
- Attach ingredient list and directions with tape or punch a hole and tie it on with yarn or ribbon.
- You will need to prepare a label with the following information in whatever format you wish.
- Gift Card Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Empty jar of cookie mix into a large mixing bowl.
- Thoroughly blend the mix ingredients.
- Add: ¾ cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix until completely blended—it will be a very stiff mix and may require hand mixing.
- Grease or line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Shape dough in to balls the size of walnuts. Place 2-inches apart on baking sheets.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes. Cool 5 minutes on a baking sheet.
- Remove to racks to finish cooling.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..