Irish Brown Bread
Published on May 26, 2019 | By Home Baking Association |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 10"-12" Round Loaf
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 4 cups whole wheat pastry ﬂour
- 2 to 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil or melted butter
- In a large bowl, stir together the ﬂour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk and the oil or butter. Stir together until blended—some lumps will remain.
- Turn the dough out onto a ﬂoured board and knead about 10 times, or until it all holds together.
- Form it into a large ball and place it on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cut a deep cross in the top.
- Pre-heat Oven to 400*F.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until it tests done (a cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean.)
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..