- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 cup (2 sticks, 8 ounces or 227g) unsalted butter
- 2 ¼ cups (15 ¾ ounces or 525g) sugar
- 1 ¼ cups (3 ¾ ounces or 155g) Dutch process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups (6 ¼ ounces or 180g) white whole wheat ﬂour
- 1 cup (4 ounces or 120g) chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 1 cup (6 ounces or 170g) chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch (about 22 x 32 cm) pan.
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, or in a medium saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter.
- Add the sugar and stir to combine.
- Return the mixture to the heat (or microwave) brieﬂy, just until it’s hot (110°F to 120°F — about 40°C), but not bubbling; it will become shiny looking as you stir it. Heating this mixture a second time will dissolve more of the sugar, which will yield a shiny top crust on your brownies.
- Stir in the cocoa, salt, baking powder, and vanilla.
- Whisk in the eggs, stirring until smooth.
- Add the ﬂour and nuts and chips, again stirring until smooth. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the brownies for 28 to 30 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. The brownies should feel set on the edges and in the center. Remove them from the oven and cool on a rack before cutting and serving.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..