A holiday cookie that’s fluffy, delicious and topped off with creamy peppermint frosting and crushed candy canes!
Peppermint Iced Melt Away Cookies with Crushed Peppermint
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 2 1/2 Dozen 2 inch cookies
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- Cookie Dough:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (the corn starch provides these shortbread cookies an excellent tenderness).
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature.
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies *
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour and cornstarch together, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add flour/cornstarch gradually beat into creamed mixture, mix until thoroughly combined.
- Cover dough and refridgerate 30 minutes or until firm enough to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350*, line 2 baking sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on prepared baking sheet pans.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until bottoms are light brown.
- Remove from oven, transfer to cooling racks and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- In a small bowl, using a hand mixer beat butter until creamy.
- Beat in the milk and peppermint extract.
- Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until thick and smooth.
- Gently spread frosting over cooled cookies, sprinkle crushed peppermint pieces.
- * Place unwrapped candy canes or peppermint pieces in ziplock bag, securely close, using a rolling pin, smash candies until they are in small pieces.
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..