- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 18-20 cookies
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed Golden Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- red, orange, yellow, green and blue gel food dye
- 1/4 teaspoon strawberry or raspberry extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Royal Icing:
- 2 cups Confectioners Sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons meringue powder
- 3 1/2 to 4 tablespoons warm water
- 1/4 teaspoon clear extract (any flavor - vanilla, almond or orange)
- Cookies: Beat butter and sugars together in large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, milk and vanilla; beat well.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture.
- Once dough is formed, divide into 5 portions. Since rainbows graduate in size, make your first portion slightly larger and then continue to graduate the sizes down.
- Color the largest portion red and add strawberry/raspberry extract. Next make the orange dough and add the almond extract. Follow with the yellow, then green and lastly blue. Be sure to wash your hands in between coloring or wear disposable gloves. Cover each portion of colored dough individually with plastic wrap.
- Place in the refrigerator and chill 1 to 2 hours or until firm enough to handle.
- Remove small pieces of each color, roll into a ball then into a snake shape on a lightly floured surface. Place red, orange, yellow, green and then blue snakes together. Press snakes together slightly, make into an arch shape. Trim the edges. (Do not discard the edges. Pull apart the colors immediately and return dough back to each original color so that the dough is not wasted.)
- Transfer formed cookies onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake for approximately 8 minutes.
- Royal Icing:
- In a bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat sugar, meringue powder, warm water and extract until stiff peaks form, about 5-7 minutes. If icing is too thick, add a couple of drops of water. If icing is to thin, add additional confectioners’ sugar, and continue beating until desired consistency.
- Decorate as desired.
- To Decorate: Place cookies about 2 inches apart on a dry, clean piece of parchment paper. Fill a pastry bag with royal icing. Swirl cloud shapes at the end of each rainbow. Dry overnight. Store cookies in an airtight container.
- Recipe Type : Holiday
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..