Sprouted Wheat Crackers
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Between 6 and 12 dozen crackers, depending on size and thickness
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 1/2 cups sprouted wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- olive oil and sea salt for topping crackers, optional
- Mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Work in the cold butter until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Add the milk and stir until dough becomes cohesive.
- Turn the dough out of the bowl onto a clean surface, and knead until it becomes smooth, about 1 minute.
- Divide the dough in half, shape each half into a rectangle and wrap them in plastic. Set the pieces aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Roll one piece of dough out on a lightly floured work surface as thinly as possible, 1/16" or thinner, or roughly 16" x 8" to 10"; rolling the dough on a piece of parchment paper is very helpful here
- Cut the dough into 1" to 2" squares and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet; if you've rolled the dough out on parchment, simply transfer the parchment to the baking sheet.
- Lightly brush the crackers with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt, if desired, then bake them for 12 to 15 minutes, until crisp and lightly golden.
- Remove from oven and cool. Store in airtight container.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..