These squares have a buttery shortbread crust and a layer of gooey brown sugar walnut studded filling, a real treat and very pantry friendly!
Tasty Butter Tart Squares
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 15 squares
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- Crust layer:
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup corn syrup (dark is best but either will work)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- *1/2 cup raisins or currants
- Crust layer:
- Pre-heat oven 350*, line 9"x13" baking pan with parchment paper allowing some to hang over edges to easily remove from pan.
- In a large bowl of stand-up mixer, cream the butter and powdered sugar until fluffy.
- Add flour and mix until well incorporated, this crust will be very thick.
- Press evenly across the bottom of prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the top is set and is a light, golden color.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool while preparing filling.
- In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer beat the butter, brown sugar and flour until well combined.
- Mix in vanilla and eggs.
- Add vinegar and corn syrup, mix until well incorporated.
- Fold in walnuts and *raisins /currants if using.
- Pour filling over prepared crust layer.
- Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes, until filling is set, the filling should jiggle a bit but should be set and not runny.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.*
- Store bars in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days after slicing.
- *We suggest allowing them to cool 4-5 hours to ensure you get a clean cut.
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..