Victoria Sponge Cake
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 cake
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 12 tablespoons/170 grams unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened, + some extra for greasing cake pans
- 1 ⅓ cups/166 gr all-purpose flour
- 3 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons/175 grams granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- ½ cup raspberry jam (or your choice), more to tast
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar, more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and place a rack in the center.
- Grease and line the bottoms of two 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, until incorporated, then beat in milk, scraping down sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Mix in flour mixture until combined, then pour into prepared cake pans, smoothing out the top.
- Bake cakes until golden brown and springy, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, then unmold them onto a wire rack to cool completely, flat side down.
- Place the least attractive layer a serving platter, and spread jam evenly on top.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip cream, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla just until it holds stiff peaks.
- Dollop about half the cream on top of jam, then top with remaining cake.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar, (Optional add fresh berries) and serve immediately, with the extra whipped cream on the side.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..