Helen’s Homemade Pizza
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 2 - 12” or 4 - 8” Pie
- Difficulty Level Beginner
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- Pizza Dough:
- 1 small cake compressed yeast or 1 pkg. dry active yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups lukewarm water
- 4 cups sifted Unbleached Flour (we recommend Heckers or Ceresota)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- Pizza Filling:
- 2 (10oz) cans tomato puree
- 1⁄4 tsp garlic salt
- 1⁄4 tsp onion salt
- 1/8 (scant) tsp. cayenne or black pepper
- 3 cups coarsely grated pizza cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated Romano or Parmesan Cheese
- 3 tsp Oregano
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water.
- Add flour, salt and shortening; mix thoroughly.
- Turn onto floured board and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl, cover and let rise in warm place until double in bulk (about 1 1⁄2 hours).
- Divide dough into 2 or 4 pieces.
- Roll out thin to fit either 12” round pizza pans or 8” pie pans.
- Fit dough in pans; crimp edges. Brush with olive oil or salad oil.
- Mix tomato puree, garlic and onion salts and cayenne together.
- Divide and spread over doughs.
- Top with pizza cheese and then Romano (or parmesan) cheese.
- Sprinkle oregano over cheeses.
- Bake in hot oven (475°) for about 20 minutes or until dough is browned and crisp.
- For variation:
- Arrange 1 1⁄2 cups finely diced Italian sausage over dough.
- Spread 3.4 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced and sautéed in butter about 8 minutes, over dough.
- Arrange 1 1⁄2 cups of thin strips of salami over dough
- Recipe Type : Pizza
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..