Here’s a cake worthy of a celebration! This Strawberry Cake is a soft and moist, made with real strawberries in the batter. It’s topped off with a rich and delicious strawberry flavored cream cheese frosting!
Homemade Strawberry Cake
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 Cake
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- Strawberry Compote:
- 1 lb. strawberries strawberries, hulled and halved
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- Juice from half a lemon
- Cake Batter:
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 c. strawberry compote
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 c. milk
- Pink food coloring (optional)
- 2 (8-oz.) blocks cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 c. butter, softened
- 1/4 c. strawberry compote
- 6 c. powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch kosher salt
- Fresh strawberries, for garnish (optional)
- Strawberry Compote:
- In a food processor, puree strawberries
- Pour pureed strawberry into small saucepan with sugar and lemon juice. Place over medium low heat. Cook, stirring often, until reduce by about half, about 25 minutes. You should have about 1½ cups of strawberry compote. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease and line two 8” round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another large bowl, with a hand mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in strawberry compote and vanilla until fully incorporated then add milk.
- Add dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. (If you want a super pink cake, stir in some pink food coloring.)
- Divide batter evenly into prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle of each comes out clean, 25 minutes.
- Let cakes cool for 15 minutes then invert onto cooling racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until no lumps remain, then beat in strawberry compote.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until fully incorporated then mix in heavy cream, vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Add more heavy cream as necessary to reach your desired consistency.
- Spread a thick layer of frosting on top of one cake layer. Top with second layer of cake, then frost all over sides and top. Garnish with fresh strawberries if using.
- Servings : 8-10
- Recipe Type : Cakes & Cupcakes
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..