Published on May 24, 2019 | By Home Baking Association |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Advanced
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- For the Strawberries:
- 2 (16-oz.) fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 cups cream , whipped
- For the Shortcakes:
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup butter , frozen
- 2 large eggs , lightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine strawberries, sugar, and vanilla bean (or extract). Stir well and let stand 2 hours.
- eat whipping cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually beating until soft peaks form. Cover and chill.
- Whisk together eggs, sour cream, and vanilla until blended.
- Combine flour, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Using a grater, grate the frozen butter directly into the dry ingredients. Use the side of the grater with the largest holes.
- Stir to coat in flour mix. Frozen, grated butter gives lovely soft, fluffy texture to your shortcake.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened and forms a ball.
- On a floured surface gently press down your dough to 1 thick.
- With a round cutter, cut out your shortcakes.
- Glaze the tops of the scones with milk.
- Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until golden.
- Assemble Shortcake:
- Split shortcakes in half horizontally.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup berry mix and juice onto each shortcake bottom.
- Top each with a rounded spoonful of chilled whipped cream, and cover with tops.
- Optional: Dust the shortcake with icing sugar to decorate.
- Servings : 8
- Ready in : 40 Minutes
- Recipe Type : Desserts
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..