- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 Coffeecake
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup water
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- ½ cup coconut
- ½ cup snipped maraschino cherries
- ⅓ cup chopped almonds
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp slivered almonds
- 1½ tsp sugar
- Traditional Method:
- In medium mixing bowl, combine yeast, 1 cup flour, 3 tablespoons sugar and salt.
- Heat milk, water and 3 tablespoons butter to 120° to 130°F; butter does not need to melt.
- Add to flour mixture. Beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed.
- Add room temperature egg; beat one minute.
- By hand, gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead on floured surface 5 to 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Use additional flour, if necessary.
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe, about 45 minutes.
- Bread Machine Method:
- Place room temperature ingredients in pan in order listed.
- Select dough cycle. Do not use the delay timer. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time.
- Prepare Filling by combining coconut, cherries, almonds, and sugar; set aside.
- Prepare Topping by combining almonds and sugar.
- Shaping, Rising and Baking:
- Punch down dough. On lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15 x 10-inch rectangle.
- Spread with 1 tablespoon softened butter.
- Sprinkle with Filling.
- Starting with longer side, roll up tightly. Pinch edge to seal.
- Place seam side up on greased baking sheet. Fold half of the roll over on top of other half, sealing ends.
- Starting at folded end, cut with scissors down center of roll to within 1-inch of other end. Turn cut halves out, cut side up, to form a heart.
- Sprinkle Topping over dough. Cover; let rise until indentation remains after lightly touching.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 18 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet; cool.
- If desired, combine 3 tablespoons powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon water and ¼ tsp almond extract; drizzle over coffeecake.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe.
- Course : Dessert
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..