Published on May 23, 2019 | By Home Baking Association |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 6 Tortillas
- Difficulty Level Beginner
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- In a large, self-locking plastic bag, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add shortening and work into flour until fine particles form.
- Add the hot water and knead the dough in the bag until it forms a ball.
- Remove dough from the bag and place on a lightly floured work surface; knead 15 strokes. Divide into six equal pieces; shape into balls. Cover; let rest 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece as thin as possible. Roll from the center out, turning several times to form an 8-inch circle.
- Heat an ungreased griddle or skillet over medium heat.
- Cook until the surface begins to bubble and the under side is speckled golden brown, about 15 to 20 seconds. Cook other side.
- Stack tortillas under a cloth as they are done and serve warm.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..