Black Olive Cake
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Advanced
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry ﬂour or whole grain spelt ﬂour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 ½ cups or 1 can (6 ounces) pitted black olives, chopped
- Grated zest and juice from 1 orange
- ½ cup currants
- 1 cup crystallized ginger, diced
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 ½ cups confectioners sugar (for glaze)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a round 9-inch cake pan, and cover with a circle of parchment paper, and grease the paper.
- Combine the ﬂour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves in a bowl and blend with a whisk. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine the eggs, olive oil, yogurt, and 2 tablespoons of the pomegranate molasses and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the olives, orange zest, currants, ginger, and fennel seeds. Stir until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the cake is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a rack to cool.
- When the cake has cooled slightly, but is still warm, run a knife around the edges. Put a ﬂat plate on top of the cake, ﬂip it onto the plate, then cover the cake with a serving plate and ﬂip it again.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of the orange juice and the remaining 1 tablespoon of pomegranate molasses in a small saucepan, and bring just to a simmer.
- Add the sugar and cook for about 1 minute, whisking to form a smooth glaze.
- Pour the glaze over the cake and serve warm, or let cool.
- Servings : 16
- Ready in : 60 Minutes
- Recipe Type : Cakes & Cupcakes
Read more about this chef..