Broccoli Swiss Quiche with Whole Wheat Crust
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 9" Quiche
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- Whole Wheat Pastry Crust:
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Ingredient List for Quiche Filling:
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup broccoli, torn into large bite-sized florets
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat Swiss cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces evaporated skim milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 or 3 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Directions for preparing crust:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Into 8 or 9-inch quiche plate or pie plate, stir together flour, sugar and salt.
- With fork, whip together oil and milk; pour over flour mixture. Mix with fork till all flour is dampened.
- Press dough evenly against bottom and sides of plate. Crimp edges.
- Line the un-pricked pastry shell with a double thickness of foil.
- Bake in oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes more or till pastry is set and dry. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F; add quiche filling (see below). If necessary, cover edge of crust with foil to prevent over browning.
- Directions for Quiche Filling:
- “Blanch” your broccoli by pouring a cup or two of boiling water over it in a colander and drain.
- Whip eggs with wire whisk; add broccoli, shredded Swiss cheese, evaporated milk, garlic, onion, salt and pepper; stir until blended.
- Pour into prepared (cooked) pastry crust. Slice tomato and place on top of quiche mixture; sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until quiche tests done in center. Wrap the edges of the pastry crust toward the end of cooking time to prevent over browning.
- Cool on wire rack for 5 to10 minutes before cutting.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..