Buttermilk Wheat Germ Pancakes with Yogurt and Berry Sauce
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 12 pancakes
- Difficulty Level Beginner
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry ﬂour
- ½ cup wheat germ
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups sliced banana, berries, or raisins
- 2 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt
- For the Sauce
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- For the Sauce:
- In a medium saucepan mix the berries, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it comes to a boil. The sauce will thicken as it stands.
- For the Pancakes:
- Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- Mix the ﬂour, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix the buttermilk, oil, and egg yolks in a cup.
- Beat the egg whites to stiﬀ peaks, using an electric mixer.
- Mix the yolk mixture into the dry ingredients just until moistened, then fold in the whites.
- Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat until hot. Lightly grease the griddle with spray vegetable oil or butter, and then drop ⅓-cup portions of batter on the griddle, spreading them a bit if thick.
- Drop fruit onto the pancakes, and press it down. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until bubbly, turn, and cook for a couple minutes more.
- Transfer to an oven-safe platter and hold in the oven until all of the pancakes are done. Serve the pancakes topped with yogurt and the blueberry sauce.
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..