Classic Coffee Cake
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 Cake
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- Streusel topping and center:
- 1 3/4 cups (8 3/4oz/247g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (6oz/170g) brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (6oz/170g) butter, cold and cubed
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup (7 1/2oz/213g) pecans, chopped
- Coffee cake:
- 1/2 cup (4 oz/115g) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (8oz/225g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (8oz/225g) sour cream
- 2 cups (10oz/284g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Maple Glaze:
- 3/4 cup (3oz/85g) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C), then butter a 9.5 inch Angel food cake pan.
- Make the streusel topping:
- Make the streusel topping: Mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in butter using a pastry cutter or rub in with your fingers until small to medium clumps form. Mix in pecans.
- For the Coffee Cake:
- On a stand mixer or using an electric hand mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs 1 at a time.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sour cream and mix until just combined.
- Spoon half the batter into the prepared angel food pan. Sprinkle 1/2 the streusel mixture evenly over batter. Top with remaining batter, and spread evenly using a spatula. Lastly, sprinkle remaining streusel topping evenly over the top.
- Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the coffee cake is baking make the glaze:
- In a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and maple syrup until you have a smooth shiny glaze.
- Once the cake is baked remove it from the oven and transfer the pan to a wire rack, and let cool slightly. Remove from the pan and while the cake is still warm drizzle over the glaze
- Cover and store the coffee cake at room temperature for 3-4 days.
- Servings : 8
- Ready in : 1 Minutes
- Recipe Type : Breakfast
Home Baking Association
Read more about this chef..